Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ye gods!

I just finished Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief which I really enjoyed. I would write about it here, but as we all know from the constant ads, the movie is coming out very soon. Because the goal of this blog is to highlight lesser-known books, I suppose it wouldn't be fair to post about that book since by the time a movie is made of the book, it no longer qualifies as lesser-known.

So, in the same vein, I plan to highlight two other books I read and enjoyed that deal with the Greek gods. I will introduce one this week and one next week.

Juliet Dove Queen of Love by Bruce Coville

Summary: Shy Juliet Dove wishes just once she could get a little attention once in a while. But after she gets a strange amulet from an even stranger shop, she suddenly discovers that all the boys have all developed major crushes on her. Far from nice, the attention is annoying! But when she tries to take off the amulet, she discovers that it won't come off! With the help of two mice acting as cupids, Juliet discovers that she's become the new Helen of Troy (not Venus as the title suggests) and she must learn to use her strengths to get her out of this situation - if she can only figure out what those are.

Assessment: This is a part of the Magicshop series which (shame on me!) I hadn't read until I got my hands on this book. I plan to read more of those books since this one was so much fun. Don't worry, there's no mushiness here (or kissy-kissy parts as a student of mine once called it). Instead, Ju
liet discovers the old "be careful what you wish for" adage and doesn't want all the attention. What you get is a fast-paced story, memorable characters, and good humor.

No comments: